Canada is an un-developing country.
It has been for decades. Here are some of the signs.
* Crumbling infrastructure.
* Irresponsible deregulation of industry and cutbacks to enforcement of the few, weak regulations that remain. This resulted – and will continue to result – in otherwise-preventable deaths, injuries and illnesses; worse working conditions; lower wages; and lowly consumers being ripped off.
* Electoral fraud, bribes and other types of corruption being grudgingly accepted as “business as usual”.
* Bizarre, expensive and unnecessary transformation of Canada back into a colony that is subservient to foreign interests, specifically the archaic monarchy of the United Kingdom and the big corporations of China and the United States.
* The federal Conservatives blatantly erasing the line between governing party/leader and non-partisan public institutions, as well as bombarding us with propaganda under a thin guise of news and information (paid for by the taxpayers, of course).
* An overwhelming trend of unpaid internships (slavery by another name), short-term contract jobs with no benefits, unpaid overtime, and other abuses against workers who are desperate for opportunities.
* Handovers of key natural resources and industries to foreign-owned companies.
* Shockingly growing gap between the rich and the rest of us – financially, culturally and physically.
* Artificial and arbitrary hierarchies becoming more deeply entrenched.
* Rampant white-collar crime, tax evasion and other scams going unpunished.
* Victimless petty crimes being severely punished (except when the offender is rich and well connected).
* Continued reprehensible treatment of First Nations peoples, and no serious attempts at honouring treaties, making amends or solving institutional problems.
* Serious shortage of safe and affordable housing in many areas.
* Transfer of social responsibilities from public institutions to private charities, many of which siphon off huge percentages of donations to pay for high salaries and administrative costs.
* Exporting jobs and raw natural resources while importing underpaid/exploited “temporary” foreign workers and cheaply made – often-substandard – finished goods.
* Deliberate and unneeded environmental destruction in the name of corporate profit and executive compensation.
* Growing surveillance of, and persecution of, non-violent dissidents under the false pretence of public safety.
* Increasing government secrecy and clampdown on information that is relevant to the public.
* More intense consolidation of power and wealth at the top of society.
* Frighteningly high levels of government and personal debt – with no genuine plans to ever pay them off.
Our nation has been falling apart at the seams and is gradually turning into a third-world oligarchy. Meanwhile, our smug, hypocritical, right-wing politicians lecture other countries about democracy, freedom and human rights (and sometimes send our troops to those countries to kill people and destroy property).
If the treasonous Harper Conservatives manage to cheat their way back into power in 2015, Canada is pretty much done, over, finished. Don’t be fooled by the sneaky Liberals though. History shows that Liberals have no desire to reverse the damage caused by the Conservatives. The Liberals are happy that the nasty Cons are doing the dirty work, so they can benefit from their elitist, pro-corporate policies while maintaining a phony public image as nice, happy progressives who care about the poor, the marginalized and the environment.
When this eventually becomes blindingly obvious to even the most hardened deniers, those of us who saw it all along will be able to say: “We told you so! We told you fucking so, you stupid assholes, but you didn’t listen! Now you’re screwed too!” Unfortunately, there is no lasting joy in that, since we will be amongst the victims of our society’s self-destruction.
So now what?
- quroiui likes this
- lovemesomeprocrastination reblogged this from rantingcanadian
- thestruggleofanamericanwriter reblogged this from rantingcanadian
- capoeri reblogged this from zombiex3
- jiheishousha likes this
- faerie-berry reblogged this from feedmesushi
- faerie-berry likes this
- thedarkestdreamatorium likes this
- feedmesushi reblogged this from mashkwi
- zombiex3 reblogged this from atimo-taguy
- atimo-taguy likes this
- atimo-taguy reblogged this from mashkwi
- iwouldratherbeashes likes this
- octothorp likes this
- nav0n0d likes this
- beccab0nes likes this
- mashkwi likes this
- aflutteringlaney reblogged this from eightyprovinces and added:
- eightyprovinces reblogged this from rantingcanadian and added:
- allthewaytonopetopia likes this
- keylimepiemurder likes this
- politicore reblogged this from rantingcanadian
- spnsocks reblogged this from rantingcanadian
- pewpewlazernipples likes this
- rantingcanadian posted this